A brief history of the hall.

 

1892          The corrugated-iron building was constructed on the Glebe Land (Bean Close) as a temporary Church for the use of Belchalwell and Ibberton, as both Churches were in a state of disrepair.

 tempchurch.JPG

1893          First service held.

1909          Ceased being used as a Church and used instead as a Church Room for meetings, clubs, entertainment etc.

coranation1939.JPG 

 

1948          The building, along with the surrounding Glebe land, was put up for sale, the purchaser being the Pitt-Rivers Estate (owner of much land and property in the area at the time)

1949          Became the “Village Hall” with Trustees and a committee and let by the Pitt-Rivers Estate on a 21year lease with a nominal rent of £1 per annum.

1953          Connection was made to the electricity supply that was then being laid on to these villages.

1957          Extension-kitchen etc-were built at a cost of £445.

1977          The Pitt-Rivers Estate offered to sell the Hall to the Village Hall Committee for £250 (plus legal costs). The offer was accepted.

1993          29th August - Church Service to c ommentate 100 years since the 1st service was held

 church.JPG

1996            The Hall’s structure required strengthening with steel girders to prevent it becoming unsafe. A grant from Dorset County Council, the Parish Council’s of Ibberton and Okeford Fitzaine (Belchalwell is served by this Parish Council) and fund raising enabled this work to be undertaken. 

1999          First application was made for a National Lottery Grant to finance improvements. (Plans were on view at the Open Meeting on 9th February). Unsuccessful application .

 oldh.JPG

 3.JPG

 7.JPG

 8.JPG

 19.JPG

 

Thank you the National Lottery, Dorset County Council, North Dorset, Ibberton and Belchalwell Parish Councils for providing us with the money to bring the Hall into the 21st Century 

 

Photographs before the work began!!

2000          Reapplied in January after conducting a survey. On 9th May National Lottery Grant of £47,000 award towards  £60,000 refurbishment project (£7,000 Dorset County Council, £4,000 Village Hall Committee Funds, £1,500 Ibberton Parish Council, £500 Okeford Fitzpaine  (Belchalwell) Parish Council).

2001           Work eventually began on refurbishment 22nd January. Applied for North Dorset District Council Grant in February, in March receive grant of £7,400. Refurbished  Hall opened by Mrs. Lois Rose, Dorset Village Halls  Advisor, on 2nd June. All residents of Ibberton, Belchalwell and Woolland invited.

2006          New Cladco-LJT roof-No painting for 15-25 years!

2008          4th January, 2008 Village Hall Connected to Broadband as a result of the 'Connecting Dorset' Project

2009           Received a grant from 'Grassroots' to purchase computer  and film showing equipment for £2,375

                                                                  

                                                                 .

 

     

 





Bookings phone 01258 817349              Ibberton & Belchalwell Village Hall              ibberton537 AT btinternet DOT com   

Community Web Kit provided free by BT